Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 2


This little vignette on top of a bookcase right inside the front door. I collect vintage aqua american pottery, so this lamp was a real find for me! I especially love the molded roses and leaves spilling down the front. Doesn't matter that I've never replaced the wiring, nor that I can't find a shade to suit the old harp. I don't need it to work. I just need it to look nice.

The painting of the woman in the grey dress, walking along some coastal hills...ahh, from the 1930s (so I'm told), and I think she just looks like she has so much joy. I want to be her some day. She reminds of a character from "Enchanted April" - a delightful, must-see movie.

The picture of the two sweet little bridesmaids in the gilt frame - my daughter and cousin (my cousin's grand-daughter, I never remember how cousins are "removed"). Baseball player Orel Hershiser took the picture at a family wedding (he's not family, but friends of).

The large floral - now that's a historic piece! I was newly separated in 1997, had never heard of ebay (sigh, can you imagine??), but a girlfriend was buying a lot of jewelry there, and it got me hooked. I started buying little things - a $2 vintage red glass heart brooch for my daughter for Valentine's Day...a brown transferware plate for my collection...small things. But I started spending a little more and a little more...on a meager salary, a now-single parent. The day that painting arrived in the mail - I'd paid $75 for it, and it's...average-ness...brought me back to reality, and I was like, whoa, what am I DOING?? I couldn't afford luxuries like that! But I realized I had stuff in my OWN basement that I could probably sell on ebay. My mother had been a real garage sale hound/hoarder, and I had saved so many of her things after she died in 1990. Anyway, I decided if I wanted to continue BUYING on ebay, that I'd need to SELL on ebay to subsidize the habit. And so I did. I became an ebay seller, and 10 years later, I'm still an ebay seller! All thanks to that painting!

3 comments:

Country Cottage Chic said...

I really enjoyed finding out how you started on ebay & seeing the picture that started it all!

Fashion Schlub said...

Thanks - yep, that was the culprit, right there. Many times when I've been in "cleaning out/I need some money" mode, I've been tempted to sell it, but...then I just can't. It's like the pizza restaurants that hang their first dollar bill made, on the wall...

Hill upon Hill said...

Enchanted April: an absolute favourite. Myself and 3 friends loved that movie when we were at university. It is still a special movie for us. I am meant to be Lottie(?).